Private Messaging Abuse

General discussions that don't fit in other forums can go here.
Forum rules
Feel free to discuss any topics here. Please use the Politics sub-forum for political conversations. While most topics will be allowed please be sure to be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
bo_sox48
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Private Messaging Abuse

#41 Post by bo_sox48 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:21 am

Wusti wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:17 am
Hey Bo - thanks for the offer, but he has since ceased from sending further messages, so I'll leave it at that.
If your plan was to leave it at that, then why are you not leaving it at that? You do nobody any good by turning this into a public shaming contest.

I'm removing any references you make to the player in question and I will continue to do so. Eventually, the moderators might see fit to lock this thread if it simply turns into a witch hunt. If you don't want the moderators to investigate, then you are well within your rights to ask us not to. However, when you tell us not to investigate, you are telling us that there is nothing to investigate. If there were something to look into and you chose not to ask us to investigate anyway, then you would be doing yourself and the rest of us a disservice by allowing this person to say things that shouldn't be said to you and to carry on a conversation that you had hoped would end a long time ago. As such, if there is something to investigate, please tell us privately by email. All you have done here is instigate.

Wusti

#42 Post by Wusti » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:26 am

Sorry jmo - but quite a few had already deduced it so i didn't think I was giving too much away. I will refrain from any such behaviour henceforth.

Wusti

#43 Post by Wusti » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:28 am

my bad - that was not my intent

CommanderByron
Silver Donator
Silver Donator

#44 Post by CommanderByron » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:47 am

*Walks in with pitchfork, distracted and looking into a sack*
Sorry, I couldn't find my torch, and for some reason my pelting stones aren't in my ba... *looks up* crap, we aren't hunting are we? *Backs out the door slowly* awkward.

CommanderByron
Silver Donator
Silver Donator

#45 Post by CommanderByron » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:52 am

In all seriousness, i think wusti was trying to bring up a conversation on pm abuse on a more broad level and accidentally gave away enough info to lead people to the person in question. Not to mention that others filled in the blanks, made for some easy figuring out. To get the topic back on track; at what point does PMing become abusive, or harassment?

Clearly there is a line and I have a strong opinion on where that line is; but I am curious where others place that line and if its a generally agreed place or if there is any major difference between opinions on this.

Wusti

#46 Post by Wusti » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:56 am

That was indeed the point of the post - not to "report someone". Personally I give no shits about someone abusing me over a internet game - the problem is theirs not mine.

The question of what constitutes "harassment is an important one though.

jmo1121109
Lifetime Site Contributor

#47 Post by jmo1121109 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:31 pm

It's very simple. If something hits a level you are uncomfortable with, message the mods and they will help resolve the situation. Either letting you know how to prevent those messages or having a conversation with the person about their behavior.