DARK HORSE vs. Marvel vs. DC

General discussions that don't fit in other forums can go here.
Forum rules
Feel free to discuss any topics here. Please use the Politics sub-forum for political conversations. While most topics will be allowed please be sure to be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
dargorygel
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

DARK HORSE vs. Marvel vs. DC

#1 Post by dargorygel » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:07 pm

An offhand comment on another thread made me think about the comics I read. When I was young(er) we really only had two choices. The Big Two. When occasionally, a third party publisher would be innovative or successful, one of the Big Two would absorb them, or at least absorb the new ideas. But these days, it seems that comic publication is more tolerant and less prejudicial. While Dark Horse leads the herd of the new brands... are there others? What do folk read these days, if anything? Or when you make your choice at the Comic Book Shop ballet box, do you simply choose one of the Major Candidates?

dargorygel
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: DARK HORSE vs. Marvel vs. DC

#2 Post by dargorygel » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:08 pm

(And no ranking allowed!)

Fluminator

#3 Post by Fluminator » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:41 pm

My issue with comics is they never progress, the status quo always remains the same, and there's no real element of danger because of it.
Or am I just assuming that and I should actually try reading more?

I never thought I'd say it but I might actually like that weird Japanese manga more than American comics.

dargorygel
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#4 Post by dargorygel » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:51 pm

I get that, flum... But I have come to see it like this: if you don't like stories that end in a wedding... Don't read romance novels. If you don't like stories that present clued that encourage deduction, don't read mysteries. What you describe is indeed a part of the genre. Despite attempts to say otherwise, and despite exceptions.

BobMcBob

#5 Post by BobMcBob » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:07 am

I only read Marvel, and they're great. I see your point Flum, but they have nice stories along the way. Take for example Avengers World event, the one before the last secret wars. Everybody knew it was simply a two year long lead-up to a massive factory reset for the marvel universe, but it was still one of the greatest story arcs ever. And the characters do develop, and even if many of the devlopments are only temporary, they give you a nice insight into the characters' characters. Comics aren't for everyone, but they are still good.