to jmo

General discussions that don't fit in other forums can go here.
Forum rules
Feel free to discuss any topics here. Please use the Politics sub-forum for political conversations. While most topics will be allowed please be sure to be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
nhkennedy99

to jmo

#1 Post by nhkennedy99 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:31 pm

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty." - Thomas Jefferson

#FreeAlexNoggle

StevenC.
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

Re: to jmo

#2 Post by StevenC. » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:32 pm

Ban OP.

Not_Oreo

#3 Post by Not_Oreo » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:33 pm

:points: :points: Tyranny! The government must die so that the people may live!

Ethan7

#4 Post by Ethan7 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:36 pm

StevenC. wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:32 pm
Ban OP.
Does this just further prove that anarchy is in order? If you can ban whoever speaks out how can this community grow!?

yavuzovic

#5 Post by yavuzovic » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:43 pm

I +1'd your first thread because I supported Alex Noggle but you're just being annoying with this. What do you think will this work??

(Also I withdraw my +1)

King Louis LXIX

#6 Post by King Louis LXIX » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:44 pm

jkump1:
Ok JMO, I'm gonna be serious with you now, since it's now obvious that you'll actually respond.
This is unacceptable. Not because I think you or the moderators of WebDiplomacy are evil, but because you have banned a person who actually cares about this game.
I'm not talking about my friend group, because I will give you that some of them are certainly out of line. If they had been banned instead of my friend, it would have been understandable and acceptable. They have been immature and they have used offensive language (though I feel obligated to mention, this was only in private games. Nobody outside the game was intended to see and get offended by the language used).
But I'm not talking about them. I'm talking about Alex, who was banned without any proper reason, who played the game to have fun and bond with people. Out of everyone, he was the most civil while playing the game, especially when it was with other people. He liked the game and this website community so much, he planned on making a club just for it. However, not only can he not play the game anymore, it seems that you, as a moderator, are refusing to take into consideration that maybe you were in the wrong. Maybe a person who cares this much about a game, enough to go through this much trouble and deal with this much slack from you, doesn't deserve to be restricted from ever playing again.
Though, I feel like I should also address the accusations you have thrown at Alex.
The “Gun-Boat and Press Violations” that I believe Alex is being accused of occured in one of our private games. Broken Bones, an anonymous, private, global chat game which was between Alex, me, and our friend group. The point of the anonymous option in the game was so nobody would be able to tell who anyone else was and we could play it like a ‘normal diplomacy game’. However, one of our friends went out of his way to find out who everyone was, somewhat ruining the point of public chat and the anonymous feature. Some of our friends in this game just decided to speak face to face, while Alex and some other people decided to just use the private messaging feature.
As I mentioned before, Alex was not a part of my friend group who participated in particularly offensive language. I might also mention, the language that he did use was never intended to mock a group. For example, “mocking gay people” never occurred. The term “gay”, which had been used by some of my friends, was never intended to refer to an actual group of people or meant to be used in a homophobic way. This slang develops among friend groups you may be a part of, not as a way to be offensive, but as a way to have fun with each other. Sure, you may consider the language to be immature, but regardless, it did not harm anyone as that “offensive” language was sent in private games among friends.
The “Access to other accounts” violation occurred only in private games and really is an exaggeration. We were introducing other players to the website and, in order to get them to understand the game and its mechanics, helped them make their moves in private games that we were a part of. Afterwards, multiple people from our friend group were so surprised that it was Alex, of all people, got banned, many of them were more than willing to speak out on his behalf in forum posts.
But, to be fair, none of this really matters, as it is obvious to us that you have already made your decision. And as a moderator, there’s not really any point in changing your mind when there’s no consequence for you.
This is why our friend group has decided that it would probably be the best idea to just leave this site and the moderators who own it. Unfortunately, we won’t be able to participate with this community, many of whom are actually quite nice and very helpful (See Alex’s WebDiplomacy Club post). We would like to thank those amazing people for their legitimate and helpful suggestions and as we move forth from this site, we will likely use many of them to start our Diplomacy Club.

Adios, jkump1

jmo:
In that case best of luck to your group. I highly recommend you read the rules if you attempt to join another diplomacy site. They're all just as intolerant of the type of language and various rule breaking your group has displayed.

And when your groups reaction to getting caught breaking the rules is to throw a tantrum and break even more site rules and cause a scene on the forum instead of waiting for other moderators to be free to give an appeal, you demonstrate to everyone that we can't trust you to take the site seriously enough to play with the people who actually do follow the rules here.

JMO, in this reply, you don't even address jkump's argument, you just reiterate what you previously posted (see #freealexnoggle). By characterizing jkump1 and his group as childish, you simply divert attention away from the fact that jkump1, though i can not vouch for his group as a whole, does bring up some good points about the "grey-areas" of the rules. Furthermore, jmo, by locking the #freealexnoggle forum after your post, you prohibit anyone from responding to "in that case best of luck to your group". This restriction of freedoms of speech is a clear sign of tyranny of the mods, or, at least jmo, which is what really frustrates me.
jmo, though i dont necessarily disagree with your actions regarding the ban of Alex Noggle, your decision to prevent others from speaking out against and challenging your decision is quite frankly unacceptable , and i sincerely hope that the you and the rest of the mod team revise your approach to handling criticism in the future.

“Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things.”
– Winston Churchill

Claesar

#7 Post by Claesar » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:48 pm

We only ban the multis and cheaters. OP might be neither.

Ethan7

#8 Post by Ethan7 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:50 pm

yavuzovic wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:43 pm
I +1'd your first thread because I supported Alex Noggle but you're just being annoying with this. What do you think will this work??

(Also I withdraw my +1)
We're not trying to be annoying, we are drawing more attention to the matter to show that it's an actual issue, we will not and cannot stop until this injustice is corrected or until we get banned from the site.

#FreeAlexNoggle

Durga

#9 Post by Durga » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:57 pm

Omg you're not gonna get unbanned like this. I hate children

Senlac

#10 Post by Senlac » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:04 pm

Durga wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:57 pm
Does this by implication suggest you like adults? In my experience they’re even bigger arseholes, just with an ego attached:-)

OrangeNoble

#11 Post by OrangeNoble » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:09 pm

Claesar wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:48 pm
We only ban the multis and cheaters. OP might be neither.
NHKennedy is an original account, and not a cheater, same with Louis XIXI and Ethan7, and to our knowledge we havent cheated at any game.

StevenC.
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#12 Post by StevenC. » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:10 pm

Ethan7 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:50 pm
yavuzovic wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:43 pm

(Also I withdraw my +1)
We're not trying to be annoying, we are drawing more attention to the matter to show that it's an actual issue, we will not and cannot stop until this injustice is corrected or until we get banned from the site.

#FreeAlexNoggle

Well, you guys are being annoying and trying to strong-arm the mods isn't going to work, however right you think you may be.

jmo1121109
Lifetime Site Contributor

#13 Post by jmo1121109 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:11 pm

Wait wait wait. Why the hell do you think you have freedom of speech on a private website run by an Australian and hosted in Europe?

zultar

#14 Post by zultar » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:15 pm

Hi all,

This is zultar, a co-owner of the site. I highly suggest you guys who want to get Alex unbanned to STOP plastering this on the forum and/or create new accounts. Please email the mods at [email protected].

We do not take ban appeals on the forum. We have specific rules and ways to deal with this. If you are unwilling to follow the rules, please do not use my site. If you persist on not following the rules on my site, you will be permanently banned and if you belong to a school group, I will direct the mods to ban everyone from your school and let your school administrators know that you are consistently breaking our rules.

OrangeNoble

#15 Post by OrangeNoble » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:31 pm

I have sent an email y'all, so just hold on and they'll respond when they cab, this isn't gonna get fixed in a day, none of this is, especially with the way y'all are going about it.

Durga

#16 Post by Durga » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:35 pm

Senlac wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:04 pm
Durga wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:57 pm
Does this by implication suggest you like adults? In my experience they’re even bigger arseholes, just with an ego attached:-)
Honestly, my university group spammed the forum and they were way worse than these kids so yes. You're right.

jmo1121109

#17 Post by jmo1121109 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:37 pm

OrangeNoble wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:31 pm
I have sent an email y'all, so just hold on and they'll respond when they cab, this isn't gonna get fixed in a day, none of this is, especially with the way y'all are going about it.
How hard is this to understand? Anyone who lets someone else use their account is going to get banned.

FlaviusAetius

#18 Post by FlaviusAetius » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:54 pm

My friend didn't know how to do webdiplomacy at all, and so we helped him through his first few turns by showing him how to move and stuff. To my understanding that's what they did...is that really against the rules?

jmo1121109

#19 Post by jmo1121109 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:01 pm

FlaviusAetius wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:54 pm
My friend didn't know how to do webdiplomacy at all, and so we helped him through his first few turns by showing him how to move and stuff. To my understanding that's what they did...is that really against the rules?
If you have questions this is not the right thread to get them answered. Email the mods, posting in a spam thread is not going to get favorable results.

FlaviusAetius

#20 Post by FlaviusAetius » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:08 pm

Ok