Diplomacy club

General discussions that don't fit in other forums can go here.
Forum rules
Feel free to discuss any topics here. Please use the Politics sub-forum for political conversations. While most topics will be allowed please be sure to be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
Restitution

Re: Diplomacy club

#21 Post by Restitution » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:03 pm

FlaviusAetius wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:53 pm
Our IT department will call you down and threaten to get the Vice Principal on you. I went too far once and got called down, it wasn't fun...
Don't get caught.

I doubt that IT would actually get the principal involved, since it's basically just proving that they're incompetent and can't handle teenagers. Doubt the principal would enjoy spending his time listening to IT dorks complain about a 16 year old that they can't beat.

It's literally their job to make sure administration never hears about this stuff.
Last edited by Restitution on Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Restitution

#22 Post by Restitution » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:05 pm

Duplicate post

Senlac

#23 Post by Senlac » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:06 pm

FlaviusAetius wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:53 pm
Our IT department will call you down and threaten to get the Vice Principal on you. I went too far once and got called down, it wasn't fun...
Not the dreaded Vice Principal! Why are they Always Evil? Mine had the delightful name of Mr Hayton (& he lived up to it!)
Good luck with tiptoeing along the borderline without getting “called down”.

Restitution

#24 Post by Restitution » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:07 pm

Senlac wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:06 pm

Not the dreaded Vice Principal! Why are they Always Evil? Mine had the delightful name of Mr Hayton (& he lived up to it!)
Good luck with tiptoeing along the borderline without getting “called down”.
Mine was called Mr. Flaig, absolute shitstain. Suspended me for fighting back against a literal neo-nazi. School administrators are always losers.

dyager_nh

#25 Post by dyager_nh » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:08 pm

I can understand why a school would have gaming sites blocked. My work also blocks gaming sites.
Luckily every kid has a gaming device wirh access to Webdip in their pocket. Seems using school resources for gaming is not necessary.

Could also pick up a board game and use that for the club

Restitution

#26 Post by Restitution » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:12 pm

dyager_nh wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:08 pm
I can understand why a school would have gaming sites blocked. My work also blocks gaming sites.
I find this super disturbing. a) that a workplace would condescend to its employees like this, and b) that fully grown adults can't get around it...
dyager_nh wrote:
Luckily every kid has a gaming device wirh access to Webdip in their pocket.
My guess is that that the school's router is blocking these sites, which would prevent kids without mobile data from using it.

FlaviusAetius

#27 Post by FlaviusAetius » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:31 am

There's a VPN, but no one dares to use it, because of all the other VPNs getting taken down. So we only use it for select circumstances. Also its not like we cant get past the blocks, its just if we do it too much(I did) they will call you down. I know one kid wasn't allowed to bring his laptop home anymores. They aren't a joke.

[email protected]

#28 Post by [email protected] » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:54 am

So, basically the general conscious is that I’ll need to get a teacher who will actually take an interest in the game (probably a history teacher or librarian), then once that is done I’ll be able to argue to a school administrator about how the club encourages strategy and teaches people about diplomacy, as well as encouraging student activity. And if it ends up getting banned for whatever reason there are numerous ways to get past that.

Thanks for all of the helpful suggestions, but after talking to a teacher about it, it would probably be a better idea to do this at the start of the next school year rather then at the very end of this one.

Now that I have a generally good idea as to how to get the club started, is there any additional pieces of advise or suggestions for fun things to do in the club?

[email protected]

#29 Post by [email protected] » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:56 am

FlaviusAetius wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:31 am
There's a VPN, but no one dares to use it, because of all the other VPNs getting taken down. So we only use it for select circumstances. Also its not like we cant get past the blocks, its just if we do it too much(I did) they will call you down. I know one kid wasn't allowed to bring his laptop home anymores. They aren't a joke.
I’m not really sure how changing a VPN works, but I’ll certainly look into it now.

dyager_nh

#30 Post by dyager_nh » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:56 am

1. Allowing gaming while on being paid to work is not acceptable. Game on your own time. I suppose you find maximum time on lunch breaks to be condesending as well. Set work schedules must be paramount to slavery.
2. What teenager does not have data on their phone?

[email protected]

#31 Post by [email protected] » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:00 am

Restitution wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:12 pm
dyager_nh wrote:
I find this super disturbing. a) that a workplace would condescend to its employees like this, and b) that fully grown adults can't get around it...
dyager_nh wrote:
Luckily every kid has a gaming device wirh access to Webdip in their pocket.
My guess is that that the school's router is blocking these sites, which would prevent kids without mobile data from using it.
I think your right about that because whenever I use my school WiFi I can’t go on a bunch of websites that are “smoothwalled”

[email protected]

#32 Post by [email protected] » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:03 am

dyager_nh wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:56 am
1. Allowing gaming while on being paid to work is not acceptable. Game on your own time. I suppose you find maximum time on lunch breaks to be condesending as well. Set work schedules must be paramount to slavery.
2. What teenager does not have data on their phone?
Yeah, I can use play WebDiplomacy on my phone (I am right now) it’s just worlds more convenient to do it on a computer.

Senlac

#33 Post by Senlac » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:17 am

[email protected] wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:54 am
So, basically the general conscious is that I’ll need to get a teacher who will actually take an interest in the game (probably a history teacher or librarian), then once that is done I’ll be able to argue to a school administrator about how the club encourages strategy and teaches people about diplomacy, as well as encouraging student activity. And if it ends up getting banned for whatever reason there are numerous ways to get past that.

Thanks for all of the helpful suggestions, but after talking to a teacher about it, it would probably be a better idea to do this at the start of the next school year rather then at the very end of this one.

Now that I have a generally good idea as to how to get the club started, is there any additional pieces of advise or suggestions for fun things to do in the club?
It might help to widen the scope of the club. Call it something like “Intellectual Diversions Club” & add Bridge or any other game requiring significant thought. Might come across well during the application process (even if all you do initially is play Diplomacy). Diplomacy was marketed by Intellectual Diversions Ltd at one time so sounds authentic. Good luck.

Octavious

#34 Post by Octavious » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:03 pm

I am extremely curious about the type of school Seniac went to, with head boys and where something called "the intellectual diversions" club could actually exist :p.

The game of choice in our school was Mercy, which for the uninitiated was where two pupils face each other, put their hands together with fingers interlocked, and try to bend backwards the wrist of the other pupil until they cry "mercy!".

The second most popular game was Knuckles, which I think is more universally popular. The third was chess club.

Diplomacy and a picture of a knife might have had a chance good old Norton Hill, but intellectual diversions would have been a non starter

Senlac

#35 Post by Senlac » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:53 pm

Octavious wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:03 pm
I am extremely curious about the type of school Seniac went to, with head boys and where something called "the intellectual diversions" club could actually exist :p.

The game of choice in our school was Mercy, which for the uninitiated was where two pupils face each other, put their hands together with fingers interlocked, and try to bend backwards the wrist of the other pupil until they cry "mercy!".

The second most popular game was Knuckles, which I think is more universally popular. The third was chess club.

Diplomacy and a picture of a knife might have had a chance good old Norton Hill, but intellectual diversions would have been a non starter
It was an old fashioned Grammar School (for Boys initially) until revolution occurred & became coeducational. The now non-PC competitive entry existed & staff reminded us that attendance was an optional privilege.

The suggested name was for staff benefit contributing towards the club selling process. The kids can call it what they like subsequently. Agreed “Intellectual Diversions” isn’t much of a recruitment line for teenagers, but neither is “Diplomacy”:-)

Octavious

#36 Post by Octavious » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:41 pm

Very true. It needs the big knife.

Mind you, schools aren't what they used to be. I flirted with teacher training a few years ago and spent a couple of weeks at Plymstock Comprehensive (coincidentally my parent's old school) to get a feel for it.

I was shocked. The teachers all wore shirts and ties, the pupils stood up whenever a teacher entered the room, and there wasn't a single fight in the entire fortnight. On the way home from school the students didn't even untuck their shirts. I fear for the future of the nation...

Senlac

#37 Post by Senlac » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:56 pm

Brilliant:-)
Dress code & standing up, oh yeah. Remember it well.
Fight shortage & shirts tucked in, not so much...
I would fear for the nation too.

Percy Williams

#38 Post by Percy Williams » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:17 pm

I think we have come to the conclusion that you need to learn all the songs to "newsies" and make a public demonstration.

[email protected]

#39 Post by [email protected] » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:35 pm

Senlac wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:53 pm
Octavious wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:03 pm

It was an old fashioned Grammar School (for Boys initially) until revolution occurred & became coeducational. The now non-PC competitive entry existed & staff reminded us that attendance was an optional privilege.

The suggested name was for staff benefit contributing towards the club selling process. The kids can call it what they like subsequently. Agreed “Intellectual Diversions” isn’t much of a recruitment line for teenagers, but neither is “Diplomacy”:-)
Well, me and my friends were originally only going to play a game called Bohanza, which is super fun, then we thought that we would make a diplomacy club instead and play Bohanza every once and a while. Bohanza is more of a game that lets you argue with the players then it is a strategy game though. Still super fun though.

FlaviusAetius

#40 Post by FlaviusAetius » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:35 am

RIP alex got banned