WebDip scoring is not a zero-sum game

General discussions that don't fit in other forums can go here.
Forum rules
Feel free to discuss any topics here. Please use the Politics sub-forum for political conversations. While most topics will be allowed please be sure to be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
90kicvesb

WebDip scoring is not a zero-sum game

#1 Post by 90kicvesb » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:49 am

Well, it almost is.... except for rounding.

If a draw-size scored game ends with a k-way draw and the decimal portion of pot/k is greater or equal to .5, each player's score gets rounded up, creating points out of thin air! So what's the best way to exploit this quirk?

For the common draw sizes of k=(3,4,5), a desirable pot would be expressible as (3n+2,4n+2,5n+3) for some integers n. That way, pot/k would end with (.67,.5,.6). For a classic game, the smallest bet which produces a pot satisfying these conditions is bet=14. Bet=5 is another good choice since 35/k will get rounded up for k=3,4.

Yes, I know that this is clearly immaterial in the grand scheme of things. Please don't ruin my fun!

Mercy

Re: WebDip scoring is not a zero-sum game

#2 Post by Mercy » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:12 am

I have gotten the impression that on average, even more points get created out of thin air in SoS-scoring games, but I can't back that claim up.

Claesar

Re: WebDip scoring is not a zero-sum game

#3 Post by Claesar » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:45 am

While the extra money we lose on these free webDip points hurt, we consider this a feature rather than a bug.

Regarding SoS scoring, the new search feature should make proving that a relatively simple exercise.