Ultra Unsportsmanlike Behavior

General discussions that don't fit in other forums can go here.
Forum rules
Feel free to discuss any topics here. Please use the Politics sub-forum for political conversations. While most topics will be allowed please be sure to be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
brainbomb

Ultra Unsportsmanlike Behavior

#1 Post by brainbomb » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:43 am

I was in a full press game and I was offended by this:
Greetings neighbor, I was thinking perhaps we should join forces and become allies. What do you think?
This type of dialogue is rude and condescending. This person clearly plans to kill me.

Claesar

Re: Ultra Unsportsmanlike Behavior

#2 Post by Claesar » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:34 am

Preemptive strike!

dargorygel
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#3 Post by dargorygel » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:51 pm

brainbomb wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:43 am
I was in a full press game and I was offended by this:
Greetings neighbor, I was thinking perhaps we should join forces and become allies. What do you think?
This type of dialogue is rude and condescending. This person clearly plans to kill me.
This is severe example of the kind of member that is dangerous on our site. Have you considered emailing the mods?

Particularly:
a) Use of the word, "neighbor." Many of us have had awful neighbors. Such phraseology is ripe with bad memories.
b) The concept of thinking, referred to TWICE. What did this player think you are? This player SHOULD have used the concept of feeling, or being, or understanding.
c) Join forces? This implies you ALSO have forces to be joined with. This is potentially offensive to peaceniks, countries in economic hardship, and cavemen (or people.)
d) "Allies" implies that this player is making decisions on your behalf. Maybe you don't like alliances. Maybe you believe in ONLY solo play, in which case you YOU, brainbomb, feel guilty! Maybe the word "allies" sounds too much like "All Lies..." and reminds you of your many lies... OR reminds you of your FEW lies and leads to pride. Such a word as "allies" should be used only with great care, and NOT in a blithe, shallow, thoughtless message such as this one. Perhaps it is even taking the word, "Ally" in vain.

brainbomb

#4 Post by brainbomb » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:10 pm

it was YOU wasnt it

brainbomb

#5 Post by brainbomb » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:10 pm

FOILED AGAIN

Attorney

#6 Post by Attorney » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:06 pm

lol