Interactive Map Orders

General discussions that don't fit in other forums can go here.
Forum rules
Feel free to discuss any topics here. Please use the Politics sub-forum for political conversations. While most topics will be allowed please be sure to be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
OrangeNoble

Interactive Map Orders

#1 Post by OrangeNoble » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:26 pm

The sister site to webDiplomacy is vDiplomacy has a great feature, an interactive map that allows you to put orders in by using the map instead of using the drop down interface, it's a lot more efficient and smooth rather than the other as you can clearly see whats going on, with less mistakes.

This would be an amazing feature to add to the site, and i think most everyone would enjoy it.

ishirkmywork

Re: Interactive Map Orders

#2 Post by ishirkmywork » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:17 pm

this is a mostly useful feature for the Vdip maps that are especially large and/or have an incredible amount of units to move. I've found it helpful in those variants. I would imagine it to be helpful here in late stage live gunboat matches, but I'm not sure it would be necessary for most simple classic matches here.

OrangeNoble

#3 Post by OrangeNoble » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:24 pm

I still think that it would be useful, as i use it even in the smaller maps, its quite nice in my opinion especially in the world diplomacy map

Percy Williams

#4 Post by Percy Williams » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:31 am

Would that system work as well on mobile though?

rjlace23

#5 Post by rjlace23 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:45 am

Does the interactive map let you enter illegal orders? Illegal orders (both by mistake and intentionally) happen in F2F games and can have significant impacts on the game. Also, it might be fun in a gunboat game to order 'The army at Liverpool move to Paris' as an opener.

Mercy

#6 Post by Mercy » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:12 am

Percy Williams wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:31 am
Would that system work as well on mobile though?
Yes, it does.
rjlace23 wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:45 am
Does the interactive map let you enter illegal orders?
No, it does not. Moreover, the interactive map makes it harder to enter wrong orders. For example, if you have an army in Edinburgh and you order your fleet in Norwegian Sea to convoy that army to Norway, then your army in Edinburgh gets automatically ordered to move to Norway as well.

Claesar

#7 Post by Claesar » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:01 am

rjlace23 wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:45 am
Does the interactive map let you enter illegal orders? Illegal orders (both by mistake and intentionally) happen in F2F games and can have significant impacts on the game. Also, it might be fun in a gunboat game to order 'The army at Liverpool move to Paris' as an opener.
webDip unfortunately already does not allow this PlayDip does.

rjlace23

#8 Post by rjlace23 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:36 pm

@Mercy regarding "No, it does not. Moreover, the interactive map makes it harder to enter wrong orders."

My first reaction: I don't like this.

Intentionally entering invalid orders is a powerful tool, allowing one to agree to a specific order and then pleading stupidity when you 'screw it up'. Very useful F2F and would come in handy here, too.

And of course, it's awesome when your enemy unintentionally writes an invalid order. Online players should be able to experience that joy, too.

captainmeme

#9 Post by captainmeme » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:49 pm

rjlace23 wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:36 pm
Intentionally entering invalid orders is a powerful tool, allowing one to agree to a specific order and then pleading stupidity when you 'screw it up'. Very useful F2F and would come in handy here, too.
https://xkcd.com/1172/

More seriously, you can still misorder with the interactive map by clicking the wrong territory, just like you can misorder with the dropdown boxes by selecting the wrong option.

Decreasing the number of ways you can misorder doesn't hurt anybody, and significantly improves the experience for new players. But that's kinda irrelevant here because the interactive map allows exactly what the dropdown boxes do, nothing more and nothing less.

mhsmith0

#10 Post by mhsmith0 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:53 pm

Intentionally entering invalid orders is a PARTICULARLY strong tool in gunboat since you can pretty blatantly offer alliances with units you don't really have anything useful moves for in a given turn.

OrangeNoble

#11 Post by OrangeNoble » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:54 pm

The if entering invalid and bad orders is such a good tool, the interactive map should be a toggleable option for the game

rjlace23

#12 Post by rjlace23 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:18 pm

captainmeme wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:49 pm

More seriously, you can still misorder with the interactive map ...
I'm talking about illegal orders, not misorders.

"The army at St. Petersburg support move to Warsaw from Sevestapol." when you agreed to support Sevestapol's attack on Moscow.

or " The fleet at North Sea convoy to Paris from Munich." in a gunboat game.