What Do Dip Players Do in Real Life?

General discussions that don't fit in other forums can go here.
Forum rules
Feel free to discuss any topics here. Please use the Politics sub-forum for political conversations. While most topics will be allowed please be sure to be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
Jamiet99uk

Re: What Do Dip Players Do in Real Life?

#21 Post by Jamiet99uk » Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:19 pm

Octavious wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:17 pm
It's not particularly exciting. Basically jumped ship from the civil service to join the railways because it's rather more fun.

... also they pay more for fewer hours, and the amount of holiday you get is ridiculous...

...but mostly it was about the fun.
That's hilariously ironic given your previously-expressed views about railways, but I agree it sounds fun.

I didn't mention it in my bit just there, but I like railways - both real and model ones!

Hellenic Riot
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#22 Post by Hellenic Riot » Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:26 pm

Formerly a chef, then an engineer building pumps for oil rigs and nuclear submarines, and now thanks to the pandemic I'm an unemployed vagrant :razz:

Doug7878
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#23 Post by Doug7878 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:35 pm

I'm a C.P.A. in the U.S. and do corporation and individual income taxes primarily.
I'm waiting for a report to compile at the moment.

Szpoti
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#24 Post by Szpoti » Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:40 pm

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:18 pm

I am doing a law PhD
I was doing a law PhD (unfinished), finishing my PhD in linguistics (hopefully finished soon)
Jamiet99uk wrote: In my spare time I play the bass guitar,
Let's form a rhythm section!
Jamiet99uk wrote: I enjoy strength training,
... and spot for one another!

I wish I were back in the UK (or in what's left out of it).

Octavious

#25 Post by Octavious » Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:42 pm

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:19 pm
Octavious wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:17 pm
It's not particularly exciting. Basically jumped ship from the civil service to join the railways because it's rather more fun.

... also they pay more for fewer hours, and the amount of holiday you get is ridiculous...

...but mostly it was about the fun.
That's hilariously ironic given your previously-expressed views about railways, but I agree it sounds fun.

I didn't mention it in my bit just there, but I like railways - both real and model ones!
My views haven't changed. If anything they've strengthened based on the absolute madness of it. But that makes it no less fun :-).

Sadly my train set is going to have to wait until I move to a bigger house. Down in Cornwall one of my cousins let me drive the Iron Maiden when I was a nipper. Didn't appreciate it at the time, but pretty awesome. Do you get to go to the Great Dorset Steam Fair at all, or too much out of your way?

Yigg

#26 Post by Yigg » Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:46 pm

Well, I gave up my career working in politics and became a High School Librarian.

Chaqa
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#27 Post by Chaqa » Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:50 pm

What's real life?

gimix
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#28 Post by gimix » Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:52 pm

@Chaqa, you know, those little immaterial things you spend time on when you're neither playing Dip nor eating Chipotle ;)

Mark Murray
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#29 Post by Mark Murray » Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:28 pm

As little as possible. Retired. Was an operations research analyst for U.S. Army. Trying to figure out what new weapons systems or force structures we should develop. Once got to play a wargame at work for an actual study. Bosses had too many "good" ideas that they wanted me to work on. So I retired as soon as I could afford it.

ColoBoy

#30 Post by ColoBoy » Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:47 am

probably retired after 25 years developing and managing affordable housing programs. New boss got rid of my job just before COVID hit...enjoy playing dip with y'all, cycling, reading, learning bridge, various time-wasters, and a lot more household chores as my wife's still working

Wusti

#31 Post by Wusti » Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:10 am

Szpoti wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:16 am
... Now, I play ... EVE Online.
Which alliance are you in? I played EVE back in the old BoB/Goon days. Haven't played in years though.

Wusti

#32 Post by Wusti » Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:47 am

As to the question - I am a Sales dude at a multinational ERP software company

Josef IV

#33 Post by Josef IV » Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:09 pm

I have a degree in chemical engineering and work as a research group leader in a pharmaceutical company. My other hobbies are travelling, hiking, skying, cars, black metal and beer (both drinking and brewing).

Crazy Anglican

#34 Post by Crazy Anglican » Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:05 pm

I teach English / Language Arts to middle school students (10-14 year olds). I also teach Taekwondo to anyone who finds my dojang which is cleverly hidden inside my friend’s sewer and drain company (so I guess teacher x2). I have black belts in Taekwondo and Japanese Karate, and have played around with Aikido, Wing Chun Kung Fu, and Kendo.

As a child of the 1980’s USA, I valued my individuality and I eschewed pop-culture things and focused on board games, D&D, martial arts, and music (Bass guitar for a while). Only to find out these were all totally pop culture things. As an eccentric, I am never quite sure when a I have outgrown something (except bass guitar), so I have studied martial arts in depth enough to one day be quite the danger to myself.

bo_sox48
Site Admin
Site Admin

#35 Post by bo_sox48 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:06 pm

I’m a software developer, formerly of the Fortune 500 brand but currently in a small but established startup operating out of Chicago. I work remotely so I’m in Colorado. I spend my spare time either hiking and climbing in the mountains or grilling out in the backyard while staring at the mountains.

Last time I answered this question here I explained a little about storm chasing and adventure tourism, which basically means I spend way too much time and money photographing and documenting tornadoes, hurricanes, auroras, wildfires, volcanoes, etc. I’m also the guy who throws the banner up about being able to pause your games when there’s a natural disaster by emailing us because I always know when they happen since I get asked by various media and broadcasting agencies to go film news footage for them during a disaster scenario. It’s a lot of fun.

I have a degree in environmental studies with a focus on conservation and climatology. I also (badly) play guitar, piano, trumpet, and occasionally some drums. I love wildlife and landscape photography and trying to convince my dog that I can’t throw the tennis ball unless she gives it back to me. I like my steak medium rare and sometimes I forget to use my turn signal when changing lanes. I changed to a firm memory foam pillow a few months ago and will never go back. Highly recommend.

Crazy Anglican

#36 Post by Crazy Anglican » Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:44 am

Dang bo_sox,

Way to kill a thread man.

Bo_sox - "Hey everybody! I'm a 25 year old ex. Fortune 500 software developer who's a stormchaser in my spare time and consequently a media consultant :-)"

Me - "Well that's nice, I'll go question my life choices with a nice bourbon."

worcej

#37 Post by worcej » Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:00 am

I am a Chemical Engineer working in a paper mill, specifically the bleach plants (turn our pulp white from brown) and am responsible for the regulatory program (PSM for those OSHA/EPA educated people) over our chlorine and chlorine dioxide usage in the mill.

My mill specializes in bleached container board, primarily in the liquid packaging segment.

bo_sox48
Site Admin
Site Admin

#38 Post by bo_sox48 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:03 am

Crazy Anglican wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:44 am
Dang bo_sox,

Way to kill a thread man.
Lol I'm flattered, but I promise you it's hardly different from the norm - working remotely gives me time and freedom to travel (and still work), and I use PTO for the crazy stuff just like anyone else. I am stubbornly stuck on the things I'm passionate about and fortunately tech nowadays is pretty accepting of that. Personally I don't think my elevator speech is any more special or worthwhile than anyone else's here and I love seeing the diversity and dedication to a bunch of fun, unexpected passions yall are showing here. Don't let me kill the vibe.

MajorMitchell
Location: Now Performing Comedic Artist Dusty Balzac Bush Philosopher from Flyblown Gully by the Sea

#39 Post by MajorMitchell » Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:36 pm

I am a Daffy Old Clown now required to embark on a career as a Performing Comedic Artist & thanks to my Political Activism my Fictional character Dusty Balzac Bush Philosopher is currently more famous in Myanmar than in my own country Australia. Tis a common fate of great Artists to be spurned during their lifetimes in their own nations yet beloved in culture loving Nations abroad & purely happenstance that I have that, briefly, in common with the Great Artists.
Your hypothesis is at best partially valid with me, I did dabble with computers and binary & hexdecimal data & it was University fellows who were socially awkward with young ladies with whom I played F2F diplomacy, yet I was rarely socially awkward with young ladies, it tended to be the fathers of young ladies with whom I had difficulties. There's nothing to better boost a Chap's chances of successfully seducing a fellow's rebellious daughter than him telling her she will have nothing to do with that saucy blighter (ie.. you)
It's an obvious proposition, diplomacy is an intellectual pursuit and people who like intellectual pursuits are often cast as nerds and geeks, but that's so simplistic.

MajorMitchell
Location: Now Performing Comedic Artist Dusty Balzac Bush Philosopher from Flyblown Gully by the Sea

#40 Post by MajorMitchell » Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:55 pm

@ VillageIdiot. That auto script correcting s/w is pestilential & hasn't done you any favours. Every Village needs a good Pump and I am confident you pump beautifully for the good folk of your village.
Omnipotent Zultar.or Nearly Omniscient Kestas really should have something done to that pestilential script correcting software, mistakenly changing Pump to Pimp, a disgraceful slur imho