Do people want Chaos?

Members can make suggestions for improving the site and improving the forum as well as submit bug reports to be reviewed by our support team here.
thdfrance

Re: Do people want Chaos?

#41 Post by thdfrance » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:19 pm

If I post in this thread do I automatically get +5?

Magnetic24

#42 Post by Magnetic24 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:30 pm

Absolutely. The people still want Chaos, and we have come out in support!!

grumbledook
Silver Donator
Silver Donator

#43 Post by grumbledook » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:44 pm

Add my vote to having the Chaos variant! The one brief time I played it was terrifyingly stressful and awesome.

Temasek22

#44 Post by Temasek22 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:59 am

We NEED chaos

Durga

#45 Post by Durga » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:13 am

Can we remove 1v1 just to create more chaos?

Fluminator

#46 Post by Fluminator » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:53 pm

I think chaos diplomacy is exactly the new breath of fresh air this site needs to stay relevant.

Fluminator

#47 Post by Fluminator » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:15 pm

You actually feel like you're playing diplomacy when you're doing chaos.
In the current game, you have like 6 people to talk to and usually very routine discussion points.
Maybe if you're lucky you'll have two players you try to coordinate moves with the entire game in a straightforward "I take this, you take that." before getting a 3 or 4 way draw.

In chaos diplomacy, you have to make and organize super alliances involving 6+ neighbors to stay relevant and powerful. There's usually intense negotiation in getting just one centre because each centre involves eliminating a player. Every person in the alliance is looking for growth and it takes a lot of negotiation to keep your alliance stable and everyone in it happy, but if you don't grow fast other alliance clusters will quickly eat you up. It very much feels like you're one country out of many trying to stay relevant in a crowded field.

The tactics are also much more interesting in chaos, since at least at the start, every unit move done is a unique player acting in their self interest. Supporting an army in or blocking support become suddenly much more nuanced with so much more going on and to keep track of.
Strategy too. It's much more than "Take over your side of the map, and get across the stalemate line before the other side stabilizes" The super alliances all over the map will be constantly in flux as self interested players break up and switch sides, and navigating through that field really requires a good grasp on big picture strategy to stay in a good position.

LeonWalras

#48 Post by LeonWalras » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:56 am

Fluminator wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:15 pm
You actually feel like you're playing diplomacy when you're doing chaos.
SO much this. Most games you can kind of cruise once you've set up a good relationship with the 6 other people you can talk to on the board. Not so much with chaos. If you want to survive the winter, you're going to have to do some diplomacy with like 20 other people. Love it.

Percy Williams

#49 Post by Percy Williams » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:25 pm

This sound amazing! I wish I were already playing a round of Chaos. It also lets someone truthfully say they are winning Chaos. There's all the argument we need.

chluke
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#50 Post by chluke » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:49 pm

It looks like the first couple turns of Chaos would depend a lot on luck, with luck of the draw (which country you drew; what your neighbors' map bias is; etc.) being a huge factor in whether you have a chance to survive and continue.

But I've never played this variant. What do those with experience say?

captainmeme

#51 Post by captainmeme » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:23 am

chluke wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:49 pm
It looks like the first couple turns of Chaos would depend a lot on luck, with luck of the draw (which country you drew; what your neighbors' map bias is; etc.) being a huge factor in whether you have a chance to survive and continue.

But I've never played this variant. What do those with experience say?
In gunboat this is definitely the case - starting on the edge as someone like Portugal or Smyrna will be far better than getting say Bulgaria.

In pp/fp though, my experience is that good negotiation can at least draw consistently from any position. I've played 7 fp/pp Chaos games and I've made the draw in 6 of them, with me being cut in the final year of the game in the last one, which is actually a far better survival rate than my experience with Classic :D

The variant certainly isn't balanced, but as far as survival goes, luck isn't as much of a factor as it appears.

RagingIke297

#52 Post by RagingIke297 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:03 am

Twenty-five +1's and no chaos :(

BobMcBob

#53 Post by BobMcBob » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:13 am

Yeah, we seriously need to get ourselves the choas variant. Maybe we need 34 +1s?

RagingIke297

#54 Post by RagingIke297 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:20 am

BobMcBob wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:13 am
Yeah, we seriously need to get ourselves the choas variant. Maybe we need 34 +1s?
I'll be back, gotta run to a friends house and make some multis so I don't get banned. Unless Zultar, praise be to him, can lend me a few of his...

LeonWalras

#55 Post by LeonWalras » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:30 am

Just 8 more to go!

BobMcBob

#56 Post by BobMcBob » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:03 am

Everybody +1 every post in the entire thread! (Most of them have almost reached 10 +1's already, I think that's a pretty good indicator that people want Chaos).

thisisntme

c̸̡̢̨̳̝͓̳̬͇̫̙̯̱͚͔̩̲̲̙̈́̍̾͌͒̈́͆̂̈́͋̋͊̔̿̒̄̓̽̎̍̓̀̂̓̎̽̏̍̐̏̉͑̓̀̀̌̓̇̽͋͊̿́͛̄́̋̑̀̂̒̓̐̾͐̿̀͛͗͂́̋̇͊̂̈́̀̆̓̃̿͗̀͗̅͗̋̆͑̆̄́̽͂͑̌͐̚̕̚̚̕̕͘̕

#57 Post by thisisntme » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:07 pm

b̴̡̨̡̡̢̢̨̨̢̧̧̧̨̧̧̭͎̺͓̬͙̲̝͙̤̝͎̙̭̳̖̬̬͈̖̺͚̜̮͈̠̲̦̼͉͎͉͉͙̫͚̰̳̯̣̼̙̞͖͉̺̗̖̘̭͓͙̬̬̦̮͚̯͎̰̜̱̲̝̞̮̼͍̥̯̫̖̣̥̠̲͉̪̭̩͚̪̠̗̣͓̼̜̼̜̪̭͕̲̗̹̥̩͈̠̱̬̰̲͚̬̦̟͈̩̭̯̦̤͚̯̳̝̹̙̙̺̦͕̱̪̜̜̫͔̞͚̳̫̩̜̠̤̺̪͔͕̰͙̳̼͚͓͕͖̦̻̜̙̣̤̞̤̗͓̣̪̦̱͓̜͈̻̯̹̫̰̹̼̫͇̖̰̦̾̈́̃́͆̉̚͜͜͜͜͠ͅͅͅͅu̶̢̢̢̧̧̢̧̧̨̡̢̨̢̨̨̢̢̨̨̧̧̗͉͓͇̦̞͚̣̜̥͓͎͈̭̬͚̣̲̼͈͖̩̳̻͇͎͔̙̥͙̰̯̙̭̗͔̫̠͇̼̪̟͎̭̥̟̼̯̗̲̲̞̜̝̱̰͙͚̣̱͔̟͕͉̜̗̠͇̳̟̤̭̘͙̗̩̗̠̲̜͉̝̖̺̭̮̭̺͍̤̱͈̰̠̲̯̖͚̹͈̰͔̱͉̬̮̯̦̳͍͍̺̭̣͕̦͚͇̬͔̪͓͓̹̭̯͕͍̯̩̟͔͍̺͎̻̰̝̞̯͕͖͉̠̻̮̖͕̥̝̭̱͚̫̻̩̬͓̱̪̰͔̬̫̲͖̮̼͚̲̥͆̃̏̆̑̈͛̇͑̈́̓͜͜͝͠͝ͅͅͅm̷̧̧̧̧̡̡̨̧̧̨̢̡̡̧̢̡̧̧̡̛̛̛͖̞̱̥͚̼̭͖͖̫̞̱̻̝͖̤̱͓̯̖͓͉̱̣̘̘̘̜͈̞̹̪̜̝̟̝̹̙͇͕͔̥̱̗̗͓͔̫̩͕̝͕̺̠̯̜͚̹͇̼͍̯̭͇̱̭̺̪̙͓͓͇̰͚̜̗͚̦̺͔̘̟̬̤̺̯͚̼̤̖̙̞̱̝͙̳̟̞͈̦͓̱̝͓̰̱̫̭̰̗͚̱͉̭̭͎͔̖̺͇͖̱̳̙̜̱̪̥͔͎̰̼̘̼͚̻̩̬̲͈͍̥̘̣̰̻̙̤͎̤̳̼̺̼̻̙̦̝͈̯̻̝͎͈͔̳̬̞̦̤̠̭̱͇̤͖̥͙̦̮̦͖͚̙̮͚̞͓̗̲̖͔̙̩̳̠̜͇̩̲̦̩̪͎̬̝̩̤̙̥͔̙͈̜̺͔̳̟̳̟͚̳͉͔͖̯̖̰̞̲̘̫͉̞͔̪͍̺̟̩̩̲͎͔̖͎̼͚̙͖̲͍̝̼͖͎̩̪̭̞̱̞̯͙͍̐̒̾̓̈́̉̂́͆̀̈̍͂̅̉̑͋̆͗͐͗̈́͗̈́͌͛̍̏̈́́́̍̀̇̇̈́͆́͋̑̈͒͒̐͊͛̈̂͗̊̐̾͊̅̇͗̇̍͑̌̈́̈̾̔̈́̚̕͘͘̚͘͘̕̕͜͜͜͜͜͜͝͝͝͠͠ͅͅͅp̸̢̨̨̢̧̡̢̢̢̡̧̨̛̛̛̼̖̼̪̱̗̳̤̣̩̳̭͔͉̦̜͉̦̭͎͙̦̬͎̦̼̬̝͖͉̲͉̯̼̜̲͍̠̪͕̙̹͍͉̣̱͕̻̞̩̜̙͚̬̜̬̫̫̤̼͙̯̻̻̥̭̘̞̟͙̠̖̗̱̲̯͕̺͔̼̳͍̝͙̠̮̖̱̪̺̞͍̭̣̪͕̺̘͕͓͙̱͕̥̝̭̮̺̤͎̖͉͓̲̻̘̼̝̦͓͉̣̐͌̂̊̂͑̑͒͂̒̊̓̋́̀̎̂͑͗̎̊́̌̊͂̏͂͒͊̈̈́̕̕͘͜͜͝͝͝͝ͅͅͅͅ

jmo1121109
Lifetime Site Contributor

Re: c̸̡̢̨̳̝͓̳̬͇̫̙̯̱͚͔̩̲̲̙̈́̍̾͌͒̈́͆̂̈́͋̋͊̔̿̒̄̓̽̎̍̓̀̂̓̎̽̏̍̐̏̉͑̓̀̀̌̓̇̽͋͊̿́͛̄́̋̑̀̂̒̓̐̾͐̿̀͛͗͂́̋̇͊̂̈́̀̆̓̃̿͗̀͗̅͗̋̆͑̆̄́̽͂͑̌͐̚̕̚̚

#58 Post by jmo1121109 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:56 pm

thisisntme wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:07 pm
b̴̡̨̡̡̢̢̨̨̢̧̧̧̨̧̧̭͎̺͓̬͙̲̝͙̤̝͎̙̭̳̖̬̬͈̖̺͚̜̮͈̠̲̦̼͉͎͉͉͙̫͚̰̳̯̣̼̙̞͖͉̺̗̖̘̭͓͙̬̬̦̮͚̯͎̰̜̱̲̝̞̮̼͍̥̯̫̖̣̥̠̲͉̪̭̩͚̪̠̗̣͓̼̜̼̜̪̭͕̲̗̹̥̩͈̠̱̬̰̲͚̬̦̟͈̩̭̯̦̤͚̯̳̝̹̙̙̺̦͕̱̪̜̜̫͔̞͚̳̫̩̜̠̤̺̪͔͕̰͙̳̼͚͓͕͖̦̻̜̙̣̤̞̤̗͓̣̪̦̱͓̜͈̻̯̹̫̰̹̼̫͇̖̰̦̾̈́̃́͆̉̚͜͜͜͜͠ͅͅͅͅu̶̢̢̢̧̧̢̧̧̨̡̢̨̢̨̨̢̢̨̨̧̧̗͉͓͇̦̞͚̣̜̥͓͎͈̭̬͚̣̲̼͈͖̩̳̻͇͎͔̙̥͙̰̯̙̭̗͔̫̠͇̼̪̟͎̭̥̟̼̯̗̲̲̞̜̝̱̰͙͚̣̱͔̟͕͉̜̗̠͇̳̟̤̭̘͙̗̩̗̠̲̜͉̝̖̺̭̮̭̺͍̤̱͈̰̠̲̯̖͚̹͈̰͔̱͉̬̮̯̦̳͍͍̺̭̣͕̦͚͇̬͔̪͓͓̹̭̯͕͍̯̩̟͔͍̺͎̻̰̝̞̯͕͖͉̠̻̮̖͕̥̝̭̱͚̫̻̩̬͓̱̪̰͔̬̫̲͖̮̼͚̲̥͆̃̏̆̑̈͛̇͑̈́̓͜͜͝͠͝ͅͅͅm̷̧̧̧̧̡̡̨̧̧̨̢̡̡̧̢̡̧̧̡̛̛̛͖̞̱̥͚̼̭͖͖̫̞̱̻̝͖̤̱͓̯̖͓͉̱̣̘̘̘̜͈̞̹̪̜̝̟̝̹̙͇͕͔̥̱̗̗͓͔̫̩͕̝͕̺̠̯̜͚̹͇̼͍̯̭͇̱̭̺̪̙͓͓͇̰͚̜̗͚̦̺͔̘̟̬̤̺̯͚̼̤̖̙̞̱̝͙̳̟̞͈̦͓̱̝͓̰̱̫̭̰̗͚̱͉̭̭͎͔̖̺͇͖̱̳̙̜̱̪̥͔͎̰̼̘̼͚̻̩̬̲͈͍̥̘̣̰̻̙̤͎̤̳̼̺̼̻̙̦̝͈̯̻̝͎͈͔̳̬̞̦̤̠̭̱͇̤͖̥͙̦̮̦͖͚̙̮͚̞͓̗̲̖͔̙̩̳̠̜͇̩̲̦̩̪͎̬̝̩̤̙̥͔̙͈̜̺͔̳̟̳̟͚̳͉͔͖̯̖̰̞̲̘̫͉̞͔̪͍̺̟̩̩̲͎͔̖͎̼͚̙͖̲͍̝̼͖͎̩̪̭̞̱̞̯͙͍̐̒̾̓̈́̉̂́͆̀̈̍͂̅̉̑͋̆͗͐͗̈́͗̈́͌͛̍̏̈́́́̍̀̇̇̈́͆́͋̑̈͒͒̐͊͛̈̂͗̊̐̾͊̅̇͗̇̍͑̌̈́̈̾̔̈́̚̕͘͘̚͘͘̕̕͜͜͜͜͜͜͝͝͝͠͠ͅͅͅp̸̢̨̨̢̧̡̢̢̢̡̧̨̛̛̛̼̖̼̪̱̗̳̤̣̩̳̭͔͉̦̜͉̦̭͎͙̦̬͎̦̼̬̝͖͉̲͉̯̼̜̲͍̠̪͕̙̹͍͉̣̱͕̻̞̩̜̙͚̬̜̬̫̫̤̼͙̯̻̻̥̭̘̞̟͙̠̖̗̱̲̯͕̺͔̼̳͍̝͙̠̮̖̱̪̺̞͍̭̣̪͕̺̘͕͓͙̱͕̥̝̭̮̺̤͎̖͉͓̲̻̘̼̝̦͓͉̣̐͌̂̊̂͑̑͒͂̒̊̓̋́̀̎̂͑͗̎̊́̌̊͂̏͂͒͊̈̈́̕̕͘͜͜͝͝͝͝ͅͅͅͅ
congrats on managing to break both the phpbb3 code and the webdip code designed to stop messages like yours from breaking out of their assigned space. Out of amusement I'm gonna leave that in place.

thisisntme

Re: Re: c̸̡̢̨̳̝͓̳̬͇̫̙̯̱͚͔̩̲̲̙̈́̍̾͌͒̈́͆̂̈́͋̋͊̔̿̒̄̓̽̎̍̓̀̂̓̎̽̏̍̐̏̉͑̓̀̀̌̓̇̽͋͊̿́͛̄́̋̑̀̂̒̓̐̾͐̿̀͛͗͂́̋̇͊̂̈́̀̆̓̃̿͗̀͗̅͗̋̆͑̆̄́̽͂͑̌͐

#59 Post by thisisntme » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:57 pm

jmo1121109 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:56 pm
thisisntme wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:07 pm
congrats on managing to break both the phpbb3 code and the webdip code designed to stop messages like yours from breaking out of their assigned space. Out of amusement I'm gonna leave that in place.
Haha, thanks! :) I don't think the title has that code, hence why it got past.

bo_sox48
Site Admin
Site Admin

#60 Post by bo_sox48 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:57 pm

Is this what the future holds if we don't import Chaos?