Adding a "create a message group" within games.

Members can make suggestions for improving the site and improving the forum as well as submit bug reports to be reviewed by our support team here.
GEN.NEDROW

Adding a "create a message group" within games.

#1 Post by GEN.NEDROW » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:24 am

We've all had games where an alliance with more than two members has formed. An option to create message groups within the game could add an interesting element to the game. I think alliances would function more like they do when you play with just a group of friends and a board.

Deinodon
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

Re: Adding a "create a message group" within games.

#2 Post by Deinodon » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:13 am

I am whole heartedly behind this proposal.

Claesar

#3 Post by Claesar » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:43 am

I've played three games at PlayDip, where they have this option. In my opinion, it made the inbox a complete mess. We'd have to think very carefully on how to do this. Feel free to offer suggestions.

yavuzovic

#4 Post by yavuzovic » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:57 am

Especially if the variant isn't classic, a world variant, with a ton of players, and a ton of alliance variations, it would be hard. But anyway it's super useful.

PRINCE WILLIAM

#5 Post by PRINCE WILLIAM » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:16 am

We always can test that on the classic game and/or the Mediterranean variant where the participants are few and then see what happens and how it can work on a bigger scale.

Laszlosaurus

#6 Post by Laszlosaurus » Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:21 pm

Claesar wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:43 am
I've played three games at PlayDip, where they have this option. In my opinion, it made the inbox a complete mess. We'd have to think very carefully on how to do this. Feel free to offer suggestions.
I agree, but feel PlayDip messaging is already more of a mess with or without group messages. My suggestion for implementation here would be a separate "Groups" tab to the right of all the individual country message tabs. Within that tab you could start new group threads by checking boxes for the countries you'd like to include. For each new group formed in a message sent or received a new tab is formed (nested within the Groups tab), abbreviated by country initials (i.e. — AGI, RT, etc). In theory you might need some tab overflow provision if a ton of different threads form, but that seems unlikely. New messages would display the envelope icon by "Groups", then you'd see another envelope beside the thread which received the new message.

Claesar

#7 Post by Claesar » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:21 pm

Laszlosaurus wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:21 pm
I agree, but feel PlayDip messaging is already more of a mess with or without group messages. My suggestion for implementation here would be a separate "Groups" tab to the right of all the individual country message tabs. Within that tab you could start new group threads by checking boxes for the countries you'd like to include. For each new group formed in a message sent or received a new tab is formed (nested within the Groups tab), abbreviated by country initials (i.e. — AGI, RT, etc). In theory you might need some tab overflow provision if a ton of different threads form, but that seems unlikely. New messages would display the envelope icon by "Groups", then you'd see another envelope beside the thread which received the new message.
That's a pretty good idea, actually. In my opinion, if we find a developer with time to look into this then we should definitely consider this suggestion.

Laszlosaurus

#8 Post by Laszlosaurus » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:49 pm

On a related note, I feel the "Notes" tab should be placed at the far end of the row and also come prefilled with a little explanatory text. Though I'm 90% sure it's a private space safe from view by other players, it's not mentioned in the FAQ and I've so far been unwilling to risk hitting 'Send' on any 'messages' there without assurance. That change at least should be relatively easy to implement.

celaph

#9 Post by celaph » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:11 am

Also, serious question for all. Have you used the notes tab and found it useful?

I personally would not mind seeing it get removed/edited.

Claesar

#10 Post by Claesar » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:44 am

Laszlosaurus wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:49 pm
On a related note, I feel the "Notes" tab should be placed at the far end of the row and also come prefilled with a little explanatory text. Though I'm 90% sure it's a private space safe from view by other players, it's not mentioned in the FAQ and I've so far been unwilling to risk hitting 'Send' on any 'messages' there without assurance. That change at least should be relatively easy to implement.
It's a private space safe from view by other players! That's a good suggestion for our updated FAQ though. Or, indeed, an explanatory text might help.

That said, I have a feeling the Notes tab isn't being used very often. We could indeed replace it with a Groups tab.

Aurelin
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#11 Post by Aurelin » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:37 pm

Laszlosaurus wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:49 pm
Or you could have it more like a document with bullet points, etc and less like you’re texting yourself. That would be a lot harder, though.

A_Tin_Can
Lifetime Site Contributor

#12 Post by A_Tin_Can » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:57 am

I've used the notes tab when I draft a message but have to go somewhere and don't want to lose it. Or when I want to write up several messages, depending on whether I get stabbed or not.

I think it was a pretty popular request a few years ago - it was added before I joined the site.

The reason the placement is weird is that it's implemented using the messaging system - you're messaging yourself.

PRINCE WILLIAM

#13 Post by PRINCE WILLIAM » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:45 pm

Is this the reason that notes are at the place your country would be in the messaging line?

Claesar

#14 Post by Claesar » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:21 pm

PRINCE WILLIAM wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:45 pm
Is this the reason that notes are at the place your country would be in the messaging line?
Yes, it is.

yavuzovic

#15 Post by yavuzovic » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:27 pm

Is it forbidden to use PM for game chat in free-messaging games.

Mercy

#16 Post by Mercy » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:06 am

I don't think so.

Claesar

#17 Post by Claesar » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:34 am

Mercy wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:06 am
I don't think so.
Yes, it is. I'm fairly sure Yavuzovic means messaging-free (i.e. no press) games.

yavuzovic

#18 Post by yavuzovic » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:01 am

Hehe, no I meant where you freely negotiate. And I wanted to say we can create groups in new PM system. This was what I meant. If we are allowed to communicate with other ways of communication, we can create groups there.

Claesar

#19 Post by Claesar » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:15 am

yavuzovic wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:01 am
Hehe, no I meant where you freely negotiate. And I wanted to say we can create groups in new PM system. This was what I meant. If we are allowed to communicate with other ways of communication, we can create groups there.
From the rules:
"3. Don't work around game messaging/press rules.
If you enter a game with limited press/messaging (such as global-only) then you can't use other methods such as the forum, email, or PM to bypass this.

If you are playing in a gunboat (no press/anon game) do not post anything about your game in the forum and refrain from posting in any threads you feel might be referencing your game. "

So, yes, in a Full Press game you can use the forum's messaging system (or email or Discord/Skype or anything) to create a group.

yavuzovic

#20 Post by yavuzovic » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:26 am

Understand, thank you Claesar