Fixing the World Diplomacy IX variant map.

Members can make suggestions for improving the site and improving the forum as well as submit bug reports to be reviewed by our support team here.
esther

Fixing the World Diplomacy IX variant map.

#1 Post by esther » Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:21 am

It can't be just me that finds the World Diplomacy IX map practically unreadable, especially the dark green Russia and dark blue Antarctica. There is no contrast between background and foreground. Contrast that w/ the easy readability of Fall of the American Empire map.

Anyway, not just to kvetch, but how would i go about submitting a suggested modification to that map, with different color choices? Do i need that windows Mapper software? (Am running a mac so that would suck).

Any other options?

Thanks,
e

ChippeRock

Re: Fixing the World Diplomacy IX variant map.

#2 Post by ChippeRock » Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:34 am

Another major problem is that the shades of red & yellow of Argentina & WC respectively are exactly the same shades of red and yellow used for move & support move arrows respectively.

Mercy

#3 Post by Mercy » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:27 am

Coincidentally, I am just working on a new World map on vDiplomacy. The initial reason behind making the map was because I wanted to make balance improvements, but your posts got me motivated to try out some color changes, too. What do you think of the new colors?

esther

#4 Post by esther » Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:08 pm

Mercy, much much better!
Thank you for working on this.
The only suggestions i would make would be to lighten Russia and Antarctica even a bit more; their hues are such that there still won't be any confusion.

Great job!
Thx,
e

ChippeRock

#5 Post by ChippeRock » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:13 am

I dunno... I like the names and colors for everything but it would be nice if the move or support move arrow colors changed based on the background...

ChippeRock

#6 Post by ChippeRock » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:17 am

For the new map I think Japan needs to be eliminated as a country. There's way too many countries in the Pacific fighting for way too few SCs.

I also think that Canada & Quebec as country names is kind of self defeating. I like the clearer Western-Canada & Quebec.

I feel like you should just keep the borders as they were because the map is more balanced.

Mercy

#7 Post by Mercy » Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:30 am

ChippeRock wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:13 am
I dunno... I like the names and colors for everything but it would be nice if the move or support move arrow colors changed based on the background...
That is an interesting suggestion, but it is not something that I can program.

I think that commentary and suggestions for the new map could best be made in the topic I linked, but since you made them in this topic, I will respond here as well.
ChippeRock wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:17 am
For the new map I think Japan needs to be eliminated as a country. There's way too many countries in the Pacific fighting for way too few SCs.
If you would count, you would see that the ratio between number of players and number of supply centers is equal on large scales across the map. That is how I designed it.
ChippeRock wrote:
I also think that Canada & Quebec as country names is kind of self defeating. I like the clearer Western-Canada & Quebec.
Mmm, okay. What do you think of the names 'Russia' and 'Siberia'? That is kind of the same thing, isn't it? Should I rename 'Russia' as 'West-Russia'? I went for simple names but I will go with other names if they are more popular. Do other people have opinions on this?
ChippeRock wrote:
I feel like you should just keep the borders as they were because the map is more balanced.
What do you mean? Do you mean that World IX is more balanced than World X?

ChippeRock

#8 Post by ChippeRock » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:54 pm

Mercy wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:30 am
ChippeRock wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:13 am
That is an interesting suggestion, but it is not something that I can program.

I think that commentary and suggestions for the new map could best be made in the topic I linked, but since you made them in this topic, I will respond here as well.
ChippeRock wrote:
If you would count, you would see that the ratio between number of players and number of supply centers is equal on large scales across the map. That is how I designed it.
ChippeRock wrote:
Mmm, okay. What do you think of the names 'Russia' and 'Siberia'? That is kind of the same thing, isn't it? Should I rename 'Russia' as 'West-Russia'? I went for simple names but I will go with other names if they are more popular. Do other people have opinions on this?
ChippeRock wrote:
What do you mean? Do you mean that World IX is more balanced than World X?
I feel like the old World Diplomacy map is more balanced because not only does the North Pacific not have 3 countries fighting in it FA has a competitor in SA in it's homeland which prevents FA from sorta picking who to attack and dominating the rest of the map, SA has more realistic options (instead of one going North he can focus south as well because it's also likely to work), and there's not a blank space in the middle of Africa while there's literally nothing for Japan, China, & PR to fight over.

I also like the old names better. Russia was the historic name of the country before it conquered Siberia and the Western part of what we now call Russia but it could be replaced by Moscow or something.

bo_sox48
Site Admin
Site Admin

#9 Post by bo_sox48 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:51 pm

World Diplomacy IX has a number of bugs and problems that aren't really fixable because the map wasn't actually developed here. KW901 was intended to replace it but it too has major problems that we can't fix over here, so it is disabled. The new world map may have potential and it definitely would change the color scheme, but without seeing the code and seeing it played I have no way of knowing if it can be ported over safely and easily or if it is as balanced as the current world map. It looks like a serious possibility visually, though.