Hide country color for private anon games

Members can make suggestions for improving the site and improving the forum as well as submit bug reports to be reviewed by our support team here.
thisisntme

Hide country color for private anon games

#1 Post by thisisntme » Tue May 15, 2018 3:50 am

I play webdiplomacy to pass the time in school, we play in private games, often anon, and maintaining anonymity is very hard when other players can just look at my computer screen, see the bar with all my games and look at the color of their names to determine what country I am.

I suggest some sort of private mode where no one can tell what country you are by looking at your screen.

I would be interested in developing such a thing, but, I have a greater magnitude of disinterest in interacting with PHP.

celaph

Re: Hide country color for private anon games

#2 Post by celaph » Tue May 15, 2018 4:14 am

As someone who also plays webdiplomacy occasionally during school, I agree that looking at other screens does easily break anonymity.

In my experience, there are some relatively easy behavioral changes that are generally sufficient to maintain anonymity.
1) Agree that everyone wants to maintain anonymity and will work towards that goal.
2) In accordance with the first point, don't look at other's screens if you think that there is even a chance that they are on diplomacy.
3) Check the site at times and locations that make it difficult for someone to look over your shoulder without you having to opportunity to first close your computer.

Dejan0707

#3 Post by Dejan0707 » Tue May 15, 2018 10:28 am

I would like to see option to turn off text colour. Turkish yellow and English pink are quite hard to read.

thisisntme

#4 Post by thisisntme » Tue May 15, 2018 10:36 am

CWagYourTail wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 4:14 am

1) Agree that everyone wants to maintain anonymity and will work towards that goal.
Unfortunately, the goal for most players isn't to maintain anon, it is to figure out who each person is.

A_Tin_Can
Lifetime Site Contributor

#5 Post by A_Tin_Can » Thu May 17, 2018 2:15 am

I think turning on colourblind mode (in your settings) turns off the colour for chat windows.