Autocancel live nmrs?

Members can make suggestions for improving the site and improving the forum as well as submit bug reports to be reviewed by our support team here.
teacher2

Autocancel live nmrs?

#1 Post by teacher2 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:32 am

I tend to play live games. Most in that community put up a cancel when an NMR skews the game. But not all. And it wastes everyone else's time when they don't.

Looking at my profile, I'm guilty of it too. Sign up tipsy and forget. I hate it when others do it and I hate it if I do. But I'd love it if the system would cancel (and reduce the reliability of the missed) rather than force play out skewed games.

Claesar

Re: Autocancel live nmrs?

#2 Post by Claesar » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:46 am

No one is under any obligation to cancel a game when there's an NMR. Games will only be cancelled if all players agree, so the current system provides as it should.

Many players also feel that the game often has enough tools to balance the NMR. I agree that this is not always the case, and such a game is certainly skewed.

That said, we are aware of the problem of live game NMRs and are always open to suggestions to improve the system. Auto-cancellation is however not an option as we do not want to enforce this.

teacher2

#3 Post by teacher2 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:16 pm

Thanks Claesar. I appreciate the comment. I am not a coder, so did not know if it would be easy to code an IF phase length >30min AND NMR 1st turn THEN cancel.

If it were easy, then I would favor it, and believe that most would -- indeed, I think a vote of players would produce a substantial majority in favor of having this option (perhaps in game setup, so that people could know what they were signing up for, i.e., with automatic cancellation).

To be clear, I was looking for a code/automatic enforcement, since I agree the mods should not have to deal with every time it happens (which is all too often). I agree that press games have enough tools to balance the NMRs. Gunboat games tend not to, since coordination is more difficult.

All that said, I love the site and thank you all for the hard work.

Ezio

#4 Post by Ezio » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:43 pm

Well teacher it's worth noting if they implemented your change(IF phase length >30min AND NMR 1st turn THEN cancel), the code would cancel for all non-live games and leave live games untouched ;).

teacher2

#5 Post by teacher2 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:52 pm

....reason number 842 why I don’t code.

dipperjay
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#6 Post by dipperjay » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:13 am

In support of teacher, when I played PBEM through the online judges, the default was “NoNMR”, so moves weren’t adjudicated if one or more powers missed the deadline. While that obviously was a source of frustration in itself, it was widely accepted. While setting up a game, there was the option to set “NMR” but that was rarely used.

I agree that especially in gunboat and especially especially in the first year, the game gets too skewed, it’s less of an issue in later years or with press.

I like teacher’s idea to make it an option during game creation, but have minus 842 ideas how easy or difficult that is to codify.

Claesar

#7 Post by Claesar » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:28 am

dipperjay wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:13 am
In support of teacher, when I played PBEM through the online judges, the default was “NoNMR”, so moves weren’t adjudicated if one or more powers missed the deadline.
Interesting, because we used to have that option here as well (called WFO = Wait For Orders). It was frequently abused and led to many games that were permanently paused, which resulted in extra mod hours needed. It's no longer offered as an option and we feel very strongly about this.

teacher2

#8 Post by teacher2 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:57 am

Just for finality, I'll point out that the coding proposed above -- IF (<30 min AND NMR 1901) THEN cancel -- is not the same as WFO/NoNMR, as it only impacts 1st turn. Again, no idea if it is easy or difficult and defer to those who kindly donate their efforts to make this site work. But I would love that as a live game setup option. Thanks again!

jmo1121109
Lifetime Site Contributor

#9 Post by jmo1121109 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:08 pm

The main concern we’ve had with this proposal is if people drew a country they didn’t like, would they then be encouraged to nmr to get the game cancelled?

teacher2

#10 Post by teacher2 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:45 pm

Fair enough. I would hope that the game is still fun regardless, plus that they wouldnt want the impact to RR. TBH, Id still prefer the option in game setup, as I arbitrarily view that as less of a risk than the frequency with which live games get skewed. All that said, I take your point and appreciate the consideration.

jmo1121109
Lifetime Site Contributor

#11 Post by jmo1121109 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:13 am

teacher2 wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:45 pm
Fair enough. I would hope that the game is still fun regardless, plus that they wouldnt want the impact to RR. TBH, Id still prefer the option in game setup, as I arbitrarily view that as less of a risk than the frequency with which live games get skewed. All that said, I take your point and appreciate the consideration.
You're not wrong, it's a valid problem and something like what you mentioned, a NMR in the first turn triggering a cancel, might work. Especially if tied to a double CD count given to the offending player and only being an option for games with a 90%+ RR requirement. Something like that could let the more reliable players start playing in higher quality games that don't get cancelled while forcing repeat offenders out of that style game.

CommanderByron
Silver Donator
Silver Donator

#12 Post by CommanderByron » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:11 am

I think we need a better RR system, followed by better integration, and education o what RR is. A lot of new players don’t know NMR and CD are affecting them negatively. They are looking at it with the instant gratification mindset of most modern games.

-RR system that better reflects reliability.
-Option to make games cancel in the event of a 1901 NMR.
-More obvious wording in regards to RR (something I’ve taken on personally, shameless plug)
-Maybe give a filter option to the upcoming games section so you can filter out variants, 1v1, FP and customize to match the live games you are interested in.
-Make it more poignant when a player goes to join a game and can’t due to RR, maybe make a pop-up that explains RR and why they can’t join.
-On that note, a pop up when a player NMRs or CDs would be cool too.