Playing against bots

Members can make suggestions for improving the site and improving the forum as well as submit bug reports to be reviewed by our support team here.
diplomat61

Playing against bots

#1 Post by diplomat61 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:55 am

Firstly, I greatly welcome the arrival of the bots and offer my gratitude to those that created them.

After about 20 games against them I have found my approach differing significantly than a game against mere mortals. It happens when I see the game as un-winnable. Against real people I will keep fighting to the end; I don't want to give up, benefitting a player nearby, and unbalancing the outcome. Doing that is disrespectful to all the players.

However, against the bots I want to get it over with ASAP. I know I should keep playing to help them learn, but my heart isn't in it. Usually I end up vacating SCs, disbanding instead of retreating, and generally rolling over. I doubt they learn anything from those games.

Wouldn't it be better to remove the two year limit for cancelling a game?

That way someone who wants to abandon can do it any time without giving poor input to the bots, while those with the right attitude (which will be me sometimes) can continue to give them a good education.

Claesar

Re: Playing against bots

#2 Post by Claesar » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:43 pm

The bots aren't learning from the games they play at the moment, so don't worry about their education!

There's more call for a concede button, but right now we'd like accurate stats on how often they win etc.
A Cancel option is therefore unlikely to happen right now.

diplomat61

Re: Playing against bots

#3 Post by diplomat61 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:57 pm

Thanks for the quick response.
Claesar wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:43 pm
but right now we'd like accurate stats on how often they win etc.
If the real player has given up because their position is perceived as un-winnable you will still know that the bots have won. Data would only be wrong if that assessment was wrong, which you will never really know.