Question about game alerts

Members can make suggestions for improving the site and improving the forum as well as submit bug reports to be reviewed by our support team here.
BunnyGo

Question about game alerts

#1 Post by BunnyGo » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:37 pm

Hello, I'm sorry if this has been asked and answered, but I couldn't find it in the FAQs and a couple searches of the forums didn't show it either:

Is there a way to set up e-mail alerts when a game has adjudicated? It'd make it much easier for me to know when I need to check in on my gunboat games.

Thanks!

-BunnyGo

BunnyGo

Re: Question about game alerts

#2 Post by BunnyGo » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:37 pm

BunnyGo wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:37 pm
Hello, I'm sorry if this has been asked and answered, but I couldn't find it in the FAQs and a couple searches of the forums didn't show it either:

Is there a way to set up e-mail alerts when a game has adjudicated? It'd make it much easier for me to know when I need to check in on my gunboat games.

Thanks!

-BunnyGo
P.S. Is there a way to get e-mail alerts when people respond to your forums threads? Or to request an alert for a specific thread (whether you post in it or not)?

bunp

#3 Post by bunp » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:47 pm

Was just wondering this myself. Would be great to get an alert of some kind I could push to my phone so I don't need to obsessively refresh.

I suspect it is not possible and would require a decent amount of development work to set up RSS feed integration for example.

BunnyGo

#4 Post by BunnyGo » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:19 pm

bunp wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:47 pm
Was just wondering this myself. Would be great to get an alert of some kind I could push to my phone so I don't need to obsessively refresh.

I suspect it is not possible and would require a decent amount of development work to set up RSS feed integration for example.
That would be unfortunate.

While I much prefer the forums, the reliability rating, and the player rating system here. Backstabbr at least has good alerts (but their random games suck because of the NMRs and general low quality of play).

If this is true, I guess I'll just have to obsessively refresh.

Claesar

#5 Post by Claesar » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:36 pm

We unfortunately cannot offer this service at this time. I believe the biggest problem is actually that our mail host cannot send that immense amount of emails.

BunnyGo

#6 Post by BunnyGo » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:54 am

Claesar wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:36 pm
We unfortunately cannot offer this service at this time. I believe the biggest problem is actually that our mail host cannot send that immense amount of emails.
Thanks for the response. Some follow up questions:

1) other forums I frequent use a daily digest of the threads you’re following, so it’s only one email per user per day. Would this be possible?

2) As for the game alerts, if its ok with you, I’ll reach out to Backstabbr and ask how they do it. Maybe it’s easily incorporated.

Restitution

#7 Post by Restitution » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:16 am

You could just set this up for yourself: https://distill.io/

It doesn't look very difficult.

EDIT:

Yep, I just set this up to send me push notifications in less than 5 minutes, lol.

Squigs44
Developer
Developer

#8 Post by Squigs44 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:54 am

Here is the short answer to your question:

We can't do email because it costs money and we are a free site.
We can't do push notifications integrated into the site because we are short on devs, push notifications can be tricky, and we have higher priority work.

If you are a talented web developer and would like to assist us in creating notifications for users, please email the mods about that.
If you are a generous philanthropist, please email the mods about funding their all expense paid cruise, and then I am sure any leftover funds could be used to set up email notifications.

In the meantime, using third party software like that already mentioned has worked for several users.

Peregrine Falcon
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

#9 Post by Peregrine Falcon » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:56 am

Restitution wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:16 am
You could just set this up for yourself: https://distill.io/
Woah... I had thought about building my own webDip scraper to make alerts, but if one already exists...