SoS suggestion (question): Scoring under your bet counting as a survival

Members can make suggestions for improving the site and improving the forum as well as submit bug reports to be reviewed by our support team here.
hedge_trimmer

SoS suggestion (question): Scoring under your bet counting as a survival

#1 Post by hedge_trimmer » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:44 pm

Hi, I'm new to the site and to Sum-of-Squares scoring system overall.

Apparently under SoS people seem to be willing to agree to basically let others win 2 ways (the duo winning over 90% of the points) since getting a single point while drawing still counts as a draw, and there's no reason for the duo to actually eliminate the little powers. My problem is that it's odd that it still counts as a "win" (draw) even though you're losing points.

So my suggestion is that perhaps scoring less than your bet should cause the game to be counted as a survival instead of a draw.

The point of this would be to give the smaller powers some reason to demand concessions from the duo, and threatening to throw the game to one of them would have some more weight when you wouldn't be just screwing over your own result too when doing it.

I hope this is something worth discussing, although perhaps it's just a feature of the scoring system and what I suggested is a terrible idea. And yes, I am upset that I lost to a 2 way when people agreed to a give everyone medals for participating in the game, so to speak (lol).

Thank you for reading and I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Durga

Re: SoS suggestion (question): Scoring under your bet counting as a survival

#2 Post by Durga » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:49 pm

Sounds like you want to play DSS

Jamiet99uk

#3 Post by Jamiet99uk » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:53 pm

A draw is not a win. It's a draw. Drawing is not winning. Only winning is winning. A draw is simply a kind of survival.

Tugster

#4 Post by Tugster » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:59 pm

I never play SoS scoring, it sucks, see many other threads on this. To win, is to solo. in DSS, If you draw, with less total people that started the game, you gain points, the smaller number of people left, the more points you gain, so it's sort of a mini win, in terms of points bet and points lost, but not usually true in SoS, the smaller players that end up in the draw, lose points, even if they are vital in holding the stalemate line.

Durga

#5 Post by Durga » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:14 pm

Different strokes for different folks

hedge_trimmer

#6 Post by hedge_trimmer » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:27 am

Durga wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:49 pm
Sounds like you want to play DSS
Sorry, but that doesn't really sound like an objection to what I suggested. So I gather you're saying it's just a feature?

Overall this wouldn't even be a thing if the stats didn't show your... stats, since then people should be just chasing points instead of stats. So I guess my real complaint might be that there are currently two scoring systems in place (even if it's possibly not meant that way): % of wins/draws/survivals/eliminations and the actual points. DSS doesn't make a big difference between those two since more draws = more points & more wins = even more points, but SoS does. Does this make sense? I don't necessarily like DSS more, but it does feel less schizophrenic.
Jamiet99uk wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:53 pm
A draw is not a win. It's a draw. Drawing is not winning. Only winning is winning. A draw is simply a kind of survival.
Exactly, but a lot of people still aim for draws, and I noticed that some people actually make fun of others for surviving a solo. I didn't know that was even a thing before today.

Saying that "only a win is a win" doesn't change the way the system encourages people to play though.
Tugster wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:59 pm
I never play SoS scoring, it sucks, see many other threads on this. To win, is to solo. in DSS, If you draw, with less total people that started the game, you gain points, the smaller number of people left, the more points you gain, so it's sort of a mini win, in terms of points bet and points lost, but not usually true in SoS, the smaller players that end up in the draw, lose points, even if they are vital in holding the stalemate line.
It should be easier to solo when there are more powers and the game remains complex, so at first glance you would expect SoS to encourage people to take the last step towards a solo when they're dominating the board and the smaller powers don't lose much points even if there was a solo. Meanwhile DSS style draw whittling doesn't really encourage soloing.

Anyway, thanks for your answers. I guess this is something to think about.

Claesar

#7 Post by Claesar » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:21 pm

hedge_trimmer wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:27 am
It should be easier to solo when there are more powers and the game remains complex, so at first glance you would expect SoS to encourage people to take the last step towards a solo when they're dominating the board and the smaller powers don't lose much points even if there was a solo. Meanwhile DSS style draw whittling doesn't really encourage soloing.

Anyway, thanks for your answers. I guess this is something to think about.
You'd think so, but a recent study on a decent sample size showed this not to be a factor. Number of solos was similar for SoS and DSS alike. Can't remember where this study was posted though.

While you're right about the stats page not being completely accurate for SoS, it also doesn't matter that much. Ghost Rating (our ELO system) is where it's at, whih does account for your centre count.