Support move cancelled

Members can make suggestions for improving the site and improving the forum as well as submit bug reports to be reviewed by our support team here.
ILN

Support move cancelled

#1 Post by ILN » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:28 pm

Say I have say 3 armies, in Brest, Gascony, and Burgundy. Burgundy moves to Paris, Gascony support moves to Paris from Burgundy, and Brest support holds Gascony. Why does an army in Marseille moving to Gascony cut off support? If Gascony would not be supported by Brest that would make sense. But if Marseille attacks Gascony even with Brest support holding, it still cuts of support. It doesn't make sense.

I don't know if I remember correctly but I think this wasn't always the case?

Claesar

Re: Support move cancelled

#2 Post by Claesar » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:03 pm

This was always the case and it makes sense. The army in Gascony is forced back into the fortress to defend the province and therefore cannot provide support into Paris at the border. The army in Brest that provides long-range support does not change this.

ILN

#3 Post by ILN » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:06 pm

Makes sense. Ok thanks! I'm just getting back to diplomacy after a looong break.

Also, one last question, do support holds get cancelled even if the army support holding another is itself support held?

ziran

#4 Post by ziran » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:30 am

The only thing that cuts support is a unit moving to the supporting units space. However, if a unit supports a unit to hold and the supported unit moves, that support is invalid.

Claesar

#5 Post by Claesar » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:31 am

ILN wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:06 pm
Makes sense. Ok thanks! I'm just getting back to diplomacy after a looong break.

Also, one last question, do support holds get cancelled even if the army support holding another is itself support held?
Yes, also cut when attacked. Like Ziran says, any unit that is under siege will be unable to carry out its support orders. It can still receive support (obviously) or move though.

ILN

#6 Post by ILN » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:55 pm

Ok thanks to both if you.