what ever happened about the thing that guy did

Members can make suggestions for improving the site and improving the forum as well as submit bug reports to be reviewed by our support team here.
MadMarx
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

what ever happened about the thing that guy did

#1 Post by MadMarx » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:06 pm

The webDip team has failed the community... Sure, that very team has exceeded expectations countless times, but based on their statement that they are always looking to improve the site, I'd like to see some action taken regarding the following situation:

1. A webDip dev, on behalf of the webDip team, blatantly and intentionally lied about the state of anonymity on the forum to the webDip community.
2. Said dev leveraged that lie as a player during the finals of webDip's most prominent anonymous tournament to gain an advantage for himself and his team.

I suppose I can get past the lying, if that's how the webDip team chooses to conduct themselves, but if you are going to lie about anonymity right before the start of the 2018 World Cup, seems that the webDip team should maintain that lie for the duration of the tournament, otherwise it's akin to changing rules mid-tournament, which is absurd.

If the webDip team deemed it important to "level the playing field" and reveal exactly how to break anonymity on webDip to all, again, that should have been done before the tournament started, not in the middle of the final round by one webDip team member as a player in the tournament.

To be more specific about the lie told by the webDip team, it has to do with the state of anonymity, per this thread:

http://webdiplomacy.net/contrib/phpBB3/ ... ?f=5&t=603

This is the sequence of statements that do not add up:

1. Acknowledging that anonymity can be broken by the online indicator (which is to say, knowing when someone is on webDip allows people to break anonymity).
2. Stating, "there is still 1 vulnerability that makes breaking anon in non-gunboat games theoretically possible"
3. Not deleting and/or hiding the .json file/site that lets people see when others are on webDip.

It is clearly acknowledged that if you know when someone is on webDip, then you can break anonymity, so to then say there is only 1 vulnerability that *theoretically* allows others to break anonymity, when the powers that be know good and well that the .json file exists and anonymity can absolutely be broken using it (rather than theoretically), then the state of anonymity on webDip has been falsely characterized to all.

Personally, I agreed to be my team's permanent bench-warmer only because of the work done regarding anonymity, at the time assuming the .json file/site had at least been hidden because of the statements made by the webDip team on the forum. Of course I should take a portion of the blame since, in this day and age, I suppose it's understood that people in a position of power are allowed to tell "alternative truths" and that "fact checking" is an unspoken requirement. That said, this situation can at the very least be described as poor judgment and/or an ethical/moral blind spot that, if is determined to go unpunished, should at least be addressed so it never (or is very unlikely to) happens again.

To be clear, this is not an accusation that anyone broke any of the stated rules in the World Cup, which is my main point, you cannot write exhaustive rules, who would have thought that the World Cup would need to specifically state "No webDip team member is allowed to leverage lies they tell to the webDip community on the forum to gain an advantage in a tournament game." This situation is about having good judgment, and since we all have moments of poor judgment and ethical/moral blind spots, one person should not be given such latitude to conduct themselves however they see fit, unless of course they are the Saudi crown prince and the one determining the repercussions for their actions is the POTUS.

jmo1121109
Lifetime Site Contributor

Re: what ever happened about the thing that guy did

#2 Post by jmo1121109 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:17 pm

I have explained to you in absurd amounts of detail as to why the file could not be hidden. You continue to intentionally misrepresent everything you're told in the dozens of discussions you've had with TD's, mods, devs, and owners. At this point I'm getting concerned about your mental well being and honestly suggest you go seek help if you have such trust issues that you're unwilling to listen to everyone you've talked too who have access to all the information around this situation. And since this is directly calling out a member against site rules, me, I've locked this thread. You're welcome to go discuss this with an owner (again).

zultar
Lifetime Site Contributor

Re: what ever happened about the thing that guy did

#3 Post by zultar » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:40 pm

MM,

As I have told you, repeatedly, that we have gone through several rounds of looking at the evidence and talking to a large number of people involved. In particular, as part of this, the TD was involved, the mod team was involved, a separate mod independently reviewed the evidence, and we looked at the internal evidence and in all these instances, we did not find that jmo abused his privilege nor did he lie to you. The TD, goldfinger0303, has repeatedly indicated that jmo did not break any rules and as part of his tournament, he has ruled on this. All the evidence we find also points to this.

If you do not like how we run this site, please feel free to leave as there is nothing more we can or will do on this ridiculous claim and your mischaraterization of what happened.