How would you improve the website?

Members can make suggestions for improving the site and improving the forum as well as submit bug reports to be reviewed by our support team here.
wulfheart

Re: How would you improve the website?

#41 Post by wulfheart » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:58 pm

Peregrine Falcon wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:00 am
Commander Thomas wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:19 pm
That said, how difficult would it be to make the webdiplomacy website into a cross compatible game (accessible via website as usual and downloadable game for your cellphone)? If Diplomacy could also be played on your cellphone versus just opening it via website page, maybe that would increase the amount of users on the website going forward?
I'm sure a dev can comment better than I, but I believe there's currently work being done on an API to allow for the creation of mobile applications. There was someone working on an app for a while, but I'm not sure if that has gone anywhere since.

That said, building in an app is not particularly easy, and we've traditionally needed dev resources elsewhere. But if it does happen, it definitely would be useful, given we live in the mobile age.
It would be really nice if there is anywhere communicated what dev work is currently done.

purevital

#43 Post by purevital » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:43 pm

The few things I've come across that I've thought could be improved are:

Game Selection:
- Why isn't "New Game" under the "Games" tab?
- Clicking new/joinable/active game tabs to change from default mode to search mode is odd.
- When doing a search, I always get 1-4 pages, when theres only 1 page of games.

Diplomacy Game:
- The red move arrow and yellow support arrow doesn't match up when combining a fleet and the army (the fleets points to the coast, and the army points to the center of the country).
- No option to mute public chat.
- Maybe the option to hide games from "My Games" that you've been eliminated in.

General:
- We no longer have to limit the screen width to 950px these days :).

wulfheart

#44 Post by wulfheart » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:19 am

Claesar wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:40 pm
https://github.com/kestasjk/webDiplomacy
There is nowhere a hint what is currently done. Just what could be done.

bo_sox48
Site Admin
Site Admin

#45 Post by bo_sox48 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:31 pm

wulfheart wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:19 am
Claesar wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:40 pm
https://github.com/kestasjk/webDiplomacy
There is nowhere a hint what is currently done. Just what could be done.
Our code is open source. Open PRs are changes that should be finalized shortly. Open issues are potentially being worked on, but our development resources are extremely limited. If you have any coding skill, feel free to take a look. PRs that have been accepted are marked as closed, and issues that have been taken into account are noted as well.

What exactly are you looking for?

Peregrine Falcon
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

#46 Post by Peregrine Falcon » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:12 am

bo_sox48 wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:31 pm
What exactly are you looking for?
Given my status as a plebian now, I for one miss knowing what development is currently being worked on, and what changes are actually made.

I can think of two things that could make the process a little more transparent to regular users.

First, we could actually start updating Recent Changes again. That way people have an easier time of telling how the site has evolved and been improved over time. As a change, I might also suggest to include the user responsible for the code, as a bit more recognition of their important work.

Second, we could have a stickied forum post in the Development board which lists dev work work currently planned and in progress. This could be useful so that regular users can see what Kestas and jmo are working on, as well as perhaps open that board up a little more for other users to think about contributing code themselves.

Of course, we don't want to add more things for the mod team to do, but I dont think either of these would require much upkeep.

wulfheart

#47 Post by wulfheart » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:51 pm

@Peregrine Falcon: Thank you, this is exactly what I wanted to express.