Enhancement: 'Stop spectating game' when you get eliminated

Members can make suggestions for improving the site and improving the forum as well as submit bug reports to be reviewed by our support team here.
rjlace23

Enhancement: 'Stop spectating game' when you get eliminated

#1 Post by rjlace23 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:42 pm

Suggestion: when a player is defeated add the 'Stop spectating game' button so players can decide if they want to keep the game in the 'My Games' panel or not.

There are some games that I don't really care how they turn out and I would like to clean them out of the 'My Games' panel. Give me a +1 if you would like this feature, too.

damo666

Re: Enhancement: 'Stop spectating game' when you get eliminated

#2 Post by damo666 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:27 pm

Just don't open them.

bo_sox48
Site Admin
Site Admin

#3 Post by bo_sox48 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:29 pm

rjlace23 wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:42 pm
Give me a +1 if you would like this feature, too.
This guy gets it.

cspieker

#4 Post by cspieker » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:08 pm

Players in the WC tournament are totally abusing the ability to post press even after they are eliminated. This is not allowed in FTF tournaments.

So it would also be good if we could kick players out (prevent them from contributing press) once eliminated.

Of course it is nice for everyone to be able to participate in EOG conversations, Would it be daunting to create code so eliminees are prevented from press during game, but allowed back in once finished?

thisisntme

#5 Post by thisisntme » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:31 pm

Give me a +1 if you would like this feature, too.

rjlace23

#6 Post by rjlace23 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:50 pm

@damo666 - I don't open them, but to me that's like stepping over a pile of dirty laundry every time I enter or leave a room. I'd rather just clean up the mess and not have to deal with it anymore.

Durga

#7 Post by Durga » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:02 pm

While I'm super good at abusing the whole press after dying thing, I agree that if it's possible it should be coded out. I wouldn't mind not getting global messages notifications from games I've been eliminated in either

Jamiet99uk

#8 Post by Jamiet99uk » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:34 pm

Me too.

thisisntme

#9 Post by thisisntme » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:35 pm

Durga wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:02 pm
While I'm super good at abusing the whole press after dying thing, I agree that if it's possible it should be coded out. I wouldn't mind not getting global messages notifications from games I've been eliminated in either
Preach

foodcoats

#10 Post by foodcoats » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:38 pm

rjlace23 wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:50 pm
@damo666 - I don't open them, but to me that's like stepping over a pile of dirty laundry every time I enter or leave a room. I'd rather just clean up the mess and not have to deal with it anymore.
webDip poet laureate.

bo_sox48
Site Admin
Site Admin

#11 Post by bo_sox48 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:04 pm

cspieker wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:08 pm
Players in the WC tournament are totally abusing the ability to post press even after they are eliminated. This is not allowed in FTF tournaments.

So it would also be good if we could kick players out (prevent them from contributing press) once eliminated.

Of course it is nice for everyone to be able to participate in EOG conversations, Would it be daunting to create code so eliminees are prevented from press during game, but allowed back in once finished?
Tournament rules could easily stipulate that dead players may not talk. I do not know that this year's World Cup did or not. I can concretely say, though, that effectively switching the press mechanisms on and off for an individual power under different conditions, such as having been eliminated or the game having ended, would be fairly daunting to code. It should be possible, but it is an idea that would be appended to a long list of things that we would have to figure out how to do.

Tasnica

#12 Post by Tasnica » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:44 pm

I don't know about tournaments, but one of my favorite things to do after being eliminated is to not shut up in press...

A_Tin_Can
Lifetime Site Contributor

#13 Post by A_Tin_Can » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:07 am

I really wish people would stop making assessments of how easy or hard things are to code, without actually checking the code.

Removing press notifications from games you are eliminated in is fairly straightforward (and the original behaviour), but this was changed by user requests some time ago, I don’t know that we should change it back- ideally it would be a user setting. Making it a user setting is more work.

Preventing players from posting after death is also quite straightforward, but not the right call for most games (also, how much can you really affect games once you’re just a disembodied voice?).

We could make it a configurable option- but the options are confusing enough as it is. Perhaps “no talking after death” should be part of rulebook press? But then, it wouldn’t be rulebook anymore.

I think this is best served by making it a tournament rule where appropriate.

jmo1121109

#14 Post by jmo1121109 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:50 am

Removing the ability to post after being defeated does not align with an online site. In a FtF room there are options for people to discuss the game after it's completed or to have side conversations between eliminated players. The site also allows people to post on the forum about ongoing non press limited games which mirrors F2F. If the people eliminated in a game wanted to have a conversation about the game and people in the game decided to waste their time during the turn listening to that conversation, that'd be up to them to do. I see this as a feature and not a bug.

I disagree that making this a tournament rule would make sense though. Preventing people from discussing a game after being eliminated is impossible to do in a non-anon tournament and only non-press games can be truly anon. So you'd then be asking the moderator team to prevent off site communication which isn't possible. If someone can influence the game with their press after being dead in a tournament then all the power too them. There's no rule against it and unless anyone can propose an enforceable option I can't see one being approved.

And just to set the record straight, nothing on the site is easy to code. Why? Because nobody is willing to code.

jmo1121109

#15 Post by jmo1121109 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:58 am

cspieker wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:08 pm

The site functions the same as in FtF when you consider that people can have conversations about the game that any player in the game can go listen too if they wish to waste their time. They can also ignore it by walking away back to the table where the commentators aren't allowed. Everyone in the game is more then welcome to mute someone who's been eliminated and ignore them in the same way while still allowing those conversations to continue.

jmo1121109

#16 Post by jmo1121109 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:00 am

rjlace23 wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:42 pm
Suggestion: when a player is defeated add the 'Stop spectating game' button so players can decide if they want to keep the game in the 'My Games' panel or not.
I'll add this to the issues on git as a requested change.