Disabled Ready-button resulted in disbanded army when retreat was possible

Members can make suggestions for improving the site and improving the forum as well as submit bug reports to be reviewed by our support team here.
Fossio

Disabled Ready-button resulted in disbanded army when retreat was possible

#1 Post by Fossio » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:08 pm

I'm currently playing a game where I was attacked in two places during the same round, forcing me to order two units to retreat. One hade no valid destination to retreat to, so its destination box was empty. The other had only one valid destination, so its destination box was pre-set to that destination. No selections could be made for either unit, which is fully reasonable and to be expected. The problem is that the "Ready" button was disabled (greyed out and unclickable, tried clicking it several times). This is with the "Rulebook press" rule set, so communication is disabled during retreats and there is no "Save" button. When the retreat-orders were executed, both units were disbanded, since no orders were handed in.

The game is still ongoing, link is below. I'm playing France and this was the retreats of spring, 1997.

http://webdiplomacy.net/board.php?gameID=229111

Claesar

Re: Disabled Ready-button resulted in disbanded army when retreat was possible

#2 Post by Claesar » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:23 pm

Yes, in rule-book press you can only choose to Ready instead of Save. You cannot Ready/Save until you choose legal orders. This is intended. If you do not submit orders, the default is executed.

What you missed is that the "retreat"-box is also drop-down. If you change it to disband (for the unit without a disband), your orders become legal and you can submit them to the site.

I recently created a screenshot for this due to someone asking the same question:
https://imgur.com/a/o94iKze

Fossio

#3 Post by Fossio » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:34 pm

Thanks for answering so quickly, I should have looked closer. Since that is the case, I would like to change this to a feature request. If there are no legal destinations for retreat, the disband option should be pre-set.

Claesar

#4 Post by Claesar » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:04 pm

I see that I failed to respond to this earlier.

I know very little about coding, but if I understand correctly this feature is actually very hard to code due to the way it's set up currently. The string of code that determines retreat options is completely unrelated to the orders code. Can't explain it in more detail than that, due to limited knowledge.

2ndWhiteLine
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#5 Post by 2ndWhiteLine » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:49 am

This wouldn't be a problem if save/ready were farther apart. Could have avoided this confusion.